Saturday, June 23, 2007

Jurisdiction

While walking today, I started thinking about some of the problems that exist in the Society of Mormons. First, I say the Society of Mormons because this category describes those who are Utah Mormons, but not necessarily LDS. The compartmentalization that I'm talking about refers to how the Relief Society often does not assist single mothers with young children or how they never concern themselves with single fathers who have full custody of their children. I and two friends of mine with similar situations have yet to be visited by the Relief Society in our respective wards even though other families have been reached out to when they were having financial difficulties or problems with health or just need someone to watch their kids on occasion.

I know it might not be possible or comfortable for people to take an interest in others, but in the five years since my ex left me and my kids, no one other then the elder's quorum has ever inquired about us. No member of the bishopric or any other auxiliary. I haven’t often had callings since my ex left even though I do have a temple recommend and have always had one (sure, I might not have talents that can be used in my ward, but I can at least be the Sunday School Secretary or something). The young men's association and the young women's association often does not follow-up with my kids, inform them of activities, or just visit to see how they are doing. I do not know why, but I guess it is because for some reason my family has violated some type of boundary, someone’s idea of jurisdiction.

A similar issue exists with demographers: everyone must fit into some type of classification and that person's standing in society is based on this classification. People and society in general have picked up on this need to classify, to label, to positivize who and what a person is. And so people who do not fit easy descriptions, boundaries, or jurisdictions either do not exist, are lying in some way, or are simply not seen or perceived. This is a function of the Society of Mormons as opposed to the church. Mormons (LDS or not) need to classify and set boundaries like everyone else, but still it happens. This is simple function of society in general, but doesn't this behavior imply some type of reliance on the natural man, reliance of typical human behavior? Isn't this something the church has said that we are supposed to not do?

I wonder.

No comments: